In one of my final courses of my graduate degree, we were asked to create a project on our life plan – include things like a personal statement, your 1, 5, and 10 year goals, things of that nature. Music has always been incredibly important to me, so my stance was to design a case & a ten song CD that incorporated my life plan. The case itself has brief goals, three core statements, and a re-centering poem I wrote. I had created the CD with the mindset that these ten songs were at my core, and if I ever felt like my life plan was getting off track, they could get me through. At the time I just wanted to do something creative that reflected my personality, but then today I pulled out the CD (circa 2012), and didn’t realize what a wonderful and emotional powerful gift I had made myself. So, without further ado, I present ten songs. My life defined.
- “But I’m thinking of what Sarah said, that ‘love is watching someone die’ – so who’s going to watch you die?
What Sarah Said by Death Cab for Cutie
Chosen as a reminder that life is short, make the most of it, and surround yourself with those you love.
- “Sometimes we gotta leave, we gotta find the things that we’re seeking. All the things we’re needin’, the things that you leave behind often will cross your mind, but you won’t forget them. You won’t ever forget them.”
Friends Like Those by Robert Ellis
Chosen as a tribute to good friends – great friends – who may drift apart, but you’re forever tied to. Treasure them.
- “They asked him ‘hey, where’s that bus going?’ And he said, ‘well I’m really not sure.’ ‘Well then, how will you know where to get off?’ And he said, ‘the place will the most allure.'”
Love the Unknown by Eef Barzelay
Chosen as an ode to a wandering heart, living for adventure and experience.
- “But hold on to what you believe in the light, when the darkness has robbed you of all your sight.”
Hold on to What You Believe by Mumford & Sons
Chosen as a vow to stay true to myself and trust my inner compass undoubtedly.
- “But I will never let it win, I will never throw the towel in, I hope I never feel like this again.”
The Tower by Olle Nyman
Chosen as a commitment to persevere through any storms I may weather.
- “When you try your best but you don’t succeed; when you get what you want, but not what you need; when you feel so tired, but you can’t sleep, stuck in reverse. And the tears come streaming down your face; when you lose something you can’t replace; when you love someone, but it goes to waste – could it be worse? Lights will guide you home.”
Fix You by Coldplay
Chosen as a tribute to my family, knowing that if things hit wrong bottom, there are two people I can always turn to.
- “My beautiful King, wake me up. I want to see You with new eyes. Break down these walls I built up, tear through this veiled heart. Lead me into your garden.”
Distant Lights by Josiah James
Chosen as a promise of faith, to choose lightness over darkness, to seek growth continually.
- “Don’t forget, don’t forget, that I believe in you. Should you forget, should you forget, let me remind you that I am behind you.”
Don’t Forget by Brett Dennen
Chosen as a personal affirmation to believe in myself, that self-love is incredibly important in any journey.
- “And in my hour of darkness, she is standing right in front of me. Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.”
Let It Be as performed by Carol Woods & Timothy T. Mitchum (Across the Universe)
Chosen as a dedication to my grandmother, remembering that she is constantly looking over me from Heaven.
- “Leave the secret talks on the trundle bed, leave the garden tools in that rusted shed, leave those bad ideas in your troubled head today.”
I Must Belong Somewhere by Bright Eyes
Chosen as a reminder to stay positive & believe that one day everything will come together as it is meant to be.
It is my hope that you all can find something to meditate on, that re-centers you, and that you can find the time to dedicate to connecting to yourself, knowing yourself better, and envisioning the next steps and grand scheme of your life.